Recipe of the Month: Fresh Berry Triffle
Fresh Berry Triffle
Depending on the size of the bowl you might need to make a few recipes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/3 cup sifted cake flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cream of tartar
- 20 oz fresh or frozen strawberries
- Granulated sugar to taste
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 heaping tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 stabilizer (optional)
- 1 1/4 cup milk, preferably whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon liquor such as brandy (optional)
- Fresh blueberries or other fresh berries.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Farenheit. Using cooking spray or butter, coat at 17x12 inch baking pan.
- Separate the eggs while cold so there are 5 yolks and 2 whites in one bowl and 2 egg whites in another. Cover with plastic wrap and let them warm up to room temperature
- In a small bowl whisk the flour and cornstarch together.
- Place the bowl containing the 5 yolks and 2 whites in a stand mixer with the 1/2 cup of sugar with a paddle attachment. Beat on high for about 5 minutes until pale, yellow, and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla extract. Sift 1/2 the flour mixture on top of the egg mixture and fold it in. Then do the same with the other half.
- In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment beat the egg whites until foamy then add the cream of tartar. Sprinkle in the other tablespoon sugar and beat until stiff peaks foam. Gently fold the whites into the yolk and flour mixture.
- Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula. Bake 6-8 minutes.
- Cut into 2-3 inch squares
- Combine all ingredients and beat with a stand mixer until it forms stiff peaks (4-5 minutes on high speed)
- In a medium heatproof bowl mix the sugar and egg yolks. Sift the flour and cornstarch together and add to the egg mixture. Mix until you get a smooth paste
- In a saucepan bring the milk until it starts to foam up. Remove from heat and slowly add to egg mixture while whisking in a steady stream.
- Pour the egg mixture back to the saucepan and cook over medium heat until boiling, whisk constantly.
- Once boiling whisk the mixture constantly for a minute until it starts to thicken. Remove from heat and mix in vanilla and liquor if using.
- Put in bowl and cover with plastic wrap with plastic directly touching the top of the cream. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until using, up to 3 days
- Purée all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth
- Layer in the following order: whipped cream, cake, pastry cream, cake, strawberry purée, fruit. Repeat until the bowl is full.